NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-08-2022, 06:29 PM
Jamie

Default Goldin Issues?

Anyone else having trouble getting in?
Old 10-08-2022, 06:30 PM
pete ullman

can't be?
Old 10-08-2022, 06:33 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Yep, I can't get in either.
Old 10-08-2022, 06:45 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Intermittent issues and for a few minutes I could not load up page

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-08-2022, 06:59 PM
Jamie

Auction extended to tomorrow.
Old 10-08-2022, 07:00 PM
Steve Lucas

We've been alerted that certain browsers are unable to access the site, and are extending the vintage card and memorabilia auction until tomorrow, Sunday, October 9th at 10pm EST.

Please e-mail me with any questions: stevelucas@goldinauctions.com
Old 10-08-2022, 07:06 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

It's the auction that just keeps on going!
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 10-08-2022, 07:13 PM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
It's the auction that just keeps on going!
Ha! Yes it sure is!
Might as well extend it another week at this point, give those cosignors their moneys worth.
Old 10-08-2022, 07:21 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

So if I understand correctly last week they extended a week and today another day.
Wow the auction that keeps on giving

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-08-2022, 07:24 PM
Michael Padilla

The website was only down for about ten minutes and they extend another day?? They already extended it a week, ridiculous. Never ending auction
Old 10-08-2022, 07:35 PM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
So if I understand correctly last week they extended a week and today another day.
Wow the auction that keeps on giving
I was bidding on auctions and preparing for the extended bidding.
I go to eat dinner with the family and come back to it saying over one day left in auction. Oh well.
Old 10-08-2022, 07:43 PM
Troy Rambo

This shouldn't surprise anyone. Seems every auction end from them is extended. It shouldn't surprise anyone if it gets extended again, too.
Old 10-08-2022, 07:52 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Sports Card Industry….No Rules Just Right…the Beat Goes On
Old 10-08-2022, 08:09 PM
Jamie

I think it is Safari that is not working.
Old 10-08-2022, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlesinj View Post
I think it is Safari that is not working.
That is correct
Issues with safari so while you may be able to bid and act as normal, safari users have had problems reaching the site, and have had issues seeing their ‘bidding’ losing’ items.
We believe this is now 100% fixed. This is the first tech problem we have encountered since moving to our own platform, and to be blunt as possible, we have learned from prior experience that when users have issues reaching or using the site, we need to err on the side of caution and protect Consignors to ensure that everyone who wishes to bid is able to do so.
Thank you for your participation and we close Sunday at 10pm
Old 10-09-2022, 09:50 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjpadilla84 View Post
The website was only down for about ten minutes and they extend another day?? They already extended it a week, ridiculous. Never ending auction
Looks like the longer the auction, the more bids Wagner receives....
Old 10-09-2022, 11:07 AM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Default Goldin Issues?

Goldin has had Safari issues for a couple months at least. This is from today, just now, and happens all the time on my computer. They don’t have a handle on what it is, regardless of what they now say. I’ve just been using another browser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.

Last edited by CardPadre; 10-09-2022 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:12 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Could anyone else besides me able to control themselves and just stop bidding?

I have had enough. At this point its ridiculous.

Last edited by Johnny630; 10-09-2022 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:41 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Could anyone else besides me able to control themselves and just stop bidding?

I have had enough. At this point its ridiculous.
Maybe we need to switch to a new auction closing format. The auction stays open until there are no bids on any item in the entire auction for a whole month. That way we can make sure that everyone who wants to bid has a chance to bid!

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 10-09-2022, 12:47 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Maybe we need to switch to a new auction closing format. The auction stays open until there are no bids on any item in the entire auction for a whole month. That way we can make sure that everyone who wants to bid has a chance to bid!
At this point they might as well change the ending timer to read:

"Auction ends: WHENEVER WE DAMN WELL PLEASE"
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 10-09-2022, 12:59 PM
Johnny MaZilli

How about Making this better for the people who participated in the auction before the auction was extended? Anyone who placed a bid in this auction gets zero seller commissions for the next three months. That seems like a nice gesture to take care of your bidders. Nobody wants to hear about free vault fees give them a zero sellers fee if they’re not already getting one.
Old 10-09-2022, 01:05 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
How about Making this better for the people who participated in the auction before the auction was extended? Anyone who placed a bid in this auction gets zero seller commissions for the next three months. That seems like a nice gesture to take care of your bidders. Nobody wants to hear about free vault fees give them a zero sellers fee if they’re not already getting one.
As they say in Italy:

In culo alla balena!

Old 10-09-2022, 02:06 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Why does it matter? If there is an item you want then bid to your limit and STOP. Then it doesn’t matter if the auction closes today, tomorrow, or a week from whenever. If you feel obligated to bid as long as the auction remains open then you are just the kind of sucker that auction houses love. Remember, there is no card that you can’t live without.
Old 10-09-2022, 03:11 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Why does it matter? If there is an item you want then bid to your limit and STOP. Then it doesn’t matter if the auction closes today, tomorrow, or a week from whenever. If you feel obligated to bid as long as the auction remains open then you are just the kind of sucker that auction houses love. Remember, there is no card that you can’t live without.
Jay, the reason it matters to me is that last night was the second consecutive Saturday I set time aside for OT. Will it end tonight? At this point I'm not confident in that.
Old 10-09-2022, 03:44 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Disclosure: I’m not bidding in this auction, so it doesn’t really matter that much to me, at least this time. We can also all agree that auction extensions are not unique to Goldin, as many others have extended their auctions in the past for any variety of reasons.

But, having said that…a few observations about why extensions tend to not be my fave:

It smacks a bit of bait and switch. And as buyers, none of us likes a good bait and switch.

It’s emotionally draining. If there’s a nice item that you’re bidding on, especially if you’ve been jonesing for it for a long time, then continuing to ride the roller coaster of the never-ending auction is no fun.

You worry that it will allow new bidders to discover the auction. We all hope that everyone else will miss the auction, at least for items that we really want. It’s why outing auctions is such a sensitive topic around here. The longer an auction stays open, the greater the chances that new bidders will enter the fray and bid up the price on everything that we want.

You worry that it will allow existing bidders to increase their bids. We’ve all been there before. We set a limit on how much we’re willing to pay. And then when someone outbids us, we take a little while, think about it some more, and decide that we’re willing to go a little higher. If this goes on for long enough, pretty soon the price has doubled or tripled. Since we all want to get the best possible price on our items, extending the auction very much increases the odds that the price we pay will go up, and not just a little.

There are very real financial ramifications. For those of us whose last name is not Zuckerberg, spending thousands, tens of thousands, or if you’re bidding on the Wagner, even millions on an item is a pretty big deal. And it would be nice for the auction to end so that we can finally know whether we won and need to scrape together the cash, or whether we can move onto the next. By perpetually staying open, the auction denies us the ability to move on with this aspect of our lives.

So for me, I’m not a big fan of auction extensions, even though this one isn’t a big deal for me, simply because I’m not bidding on anything.

Old 10-09-2022, 03:46 PM
Jim Caravello

Goldin auctions is all about making money as opposed to investing in technology…..they have always had issues with their auctions and accessibility….it’s 2022 - not 1996…..sorry, I will no longer consign or bid in their auctions - been burned too many times with their technology….or lack thereof….
Old 10-09-2022, 03:51 PM
Michael Padilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPadre View Post
Goldin has had Safari issues for a couple months at least. This is from today, just now, and happens all the time on my computer. They don’t have a handle on what it is, regardless of what they now say. I’ve just been using another browser.

Ohh great I wouldn’t be surprised for another week extension!
Old 10-09-2022, 03:58 PM
Jim Caravello

When they changed their platform in the last year or so they wanted my financial statements or bank account balances to bid on something over something like $10,000 - in 2017 I spent like $10,000 in one auction and regularly spent several thousands in their auctions since then….I am a premier bidder in Grey Flannel….I was not going to divulge my financial info to them…they would not approve me to bid….I copied Ken Goldin on my emails with their folks internally about this and didn’t hear a thing……I don’t work that way - I’ve spent tens of thousands in their auctions over the years and get no respect / have no interest in bidding or consigning to auction houses who show no respect back…

It’s all about the Benjamin’s to Goldin - they don’t care about their customers…..plain and simple..will never consign or bid in one of their auctions again…..

Last edited by JimmyC; 10-09-2022 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 04:19 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I understand what you guys are saying but just throw in an up to bid to your limit and forget about it. That way you don’t have to allocate time to the auction; the process is done. The only reason not to do this is if you don’t trust the auction house which is an entirely different story.
Old 10-09-2022, 04:47 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
I understand what you guys are saying but just throw in an up to bid to your limit and forget about it. That way you don’t have to allocate time to the auction; the process is done. The only reason not to do this is if you don’t trust the auction house which is an entirely different story.
That works fine as long as you’re at the “I don’t care at all” or “I only care a little” point on the scale. As you work your way up the scale, getting closer to “pretty much all of my emotional energy and financial future is tied up in this auction”, then it becomes a lot less viable as a strategy.

Old 10-09-2022, 04:47 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Ken is currently getting roasted on several UTube podcasts.
Old 10-09-2022, 04:56 PM
Jim Caravello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Ken is currently getting roasted on several UTube podcasts.
It’s all about the Benjamin’s…..never been about the hobby to him….
Old 10-09-2022, 05:11 PM
T0NY @

Quote:
I understand what you guys are saying but just throw in an up to bid to your limit and forget about it. That way you don’t have to allocate time to the auction; the process is done.
That analogy works fine for an auction which ends on the day that its supposed to.

Not the case here. This auction has had 3 different end dates thus far.

Could we possibly have 4? Time will tell.
Old 10-09-2022, 05:35 PM
Phil Garry

When I consigned with them, site was down for a couple of days, no extension, the auction was just shortened. No wonder my results were terrible. Just my luck like with everything else.
Old 10-09-2022, 05:40 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Tony—It works no matter when it ends. Just put in an up to for your max and forget it. Why does it matter when it ends? If you’ve bid your max then you are done. The problem may be that people don’t really know their max and just bid till the pain gets too much. If that is the case then perhaps those people need to rethink their bidding strategy.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Tony—It works no matter when it ends. Just put in an up to for your max and forget it. Why does it matter when it ends? If you’ve bid your max then you are done. The problem may be that people don’t really know their max and just bid till the pain gets too much. If that is the case then perhaps those people need to rethink their bidding strategy.
Many people fear if they leave a max bid they will be run up. I guess that means they don't trust the AH. Not specific to Goldin, general observation.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-09-2022 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:39 PM
T0NY @

Jay, you just said the key word in your last comment - (strategy)

By the sounds of it the rule of thumb that you follow for auctions is to just plug your max bid in and go to bed. That strategy seems to work for you and I think thats great!

Many here including myself though just don’t follow that same bidding strategy/pattern for a number of reasons, especially when factoring in that we can be talking about the many different lots that bidders could be following simultaneously in any given auction.

When you have 3 unexpected closing nights arise in the same auction spanning across 2 weeks it does in fact change the strategy and the auction results.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:45 PM
pete ullman

I also prefer to stay up and in the heat of the battle pay more than i ever thought i would and then freak out when i see the bill and i didnt even factor in all the added fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-count View Post

By the sounds of it the rule of thumb that you follow for auctions is to just plug your max bid in and go to bed. That strategy seems to work for you and I think thats great!

Many here including myself though just don’t follow that same bidding strategy/pattern for a number of reasons, especially when factoring in that we can be talking about the many different lots that bidders could be following simultaneously in any given auction.

When you have 3 unexpected closing nights arise in the same auction spanning across 2 weeks it does in fact change the strategy and the auction results.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:49 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-count View Post

+1 there's so much more that goes into a bidding strategy, especially for rare/expensive cards, than set it and forget it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 10-09-2022, 07:06 PM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I also prefer to stay up and in the heat of the battle pay more than i ever thought i would and then freak out when i see the bill and i didnt even factor in all the added fees.
Oh, and that too
Old 10-09-2022, 08:28 PM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Haha, yep.
Old 10-09-2022, 08:58 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Many people fear if they leave a max bid they will be run up. I guess that means they don't trust the AH. Not specific to Goldin, general observation.
I've had one experience at an auction house (years ago and it was Goldin). They had a Mike Schmidt collection and I just had to have an item. I knew this would be an item to fetch thousands. So I put a max bid in that I was comfortable with and worth it. I was winning throughout with an amount decently lower than my max bid. Needless to say I happily won the item.

But I was pretty shocked/surprised that it went all the way to my max bid. Thought it was too much of a coincidence, and have never bid on anything from any auction house since. I just don't trust them.

J@mie Turs.ini

Last edited by Leon; 10-10-2022 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-09-2022, 09:15 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Good news! Auction is finally, mercifully over.

Old 10-09-2022, 09:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan24 View Post
I've had one experience at an auction house (years ago and it was Goldin). They had a Mike Schmidt collection and I just had to have an item. I knew this would be an item to fetch thousands. So I put a max bid in that I was comfortable with and worth it. I was winning throughout with an amount decently lower than my max bid. Needless to say I happily won the item.

But I was pretty shocked/surprised that it went all the way to my max bid. Thought it was too much of a coincidence, and have never bid on anything from any auction house since. I just don't trust them.
It's hard to know what to think when that happens and of course it's happened to us all.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-09-2022, 10:02 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Good news! Auction is finally, mercifully over.
3.72 mil on the Wagner.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 10-09-2022, 11:56 PM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

I was watching & bidding on a few cards but ended up only winning 2...and they're an odd pair:

T206 Walter Johnson Hands at Chest
1980 Topps Rickey Henderson RC

Old 10-10-2022, 04:28 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

I don't know if the early end was a result of the glitch or if this is Goldin's general format.... but at 1030 last night my items were over. this seems like the right format for an auction as opposed to bidding going on until 1am.

at 10pm we entered extended bidding and if no other bids came by 1030 it was over, regardless of what happens with the rest of the auction.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 10-10-2022, 06:06 AM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar_Stanage View Post
I don't know if the early end was a result of the glitch or if this is Goldin's general format.... but at 1030 last night my items were over. this seems like the right format for an auction as opposed to bidding going on until 1am.

at 10pm we entered extended bidding and if no other bids came by 1030 it was over, regardless of what happens with the rest of the auction.

I noticed the same and agree, if no other bids come in, the auction should end for that item.

Old 10-10-2022, 06:29 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It's hard to know what to think when that happens and of course it's happened to us all.
Has happened to me. And also I’ve put in max bids that happily
Weren’t reached. Seen both.
Old 10-10-2022, 06:43 AM
pete ullman

I don’t believe Honus increased in all of the extensions, did it??