NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-27-2023, 05:00 PM
Ben North

Default First timer autograph help needed

I paid the extra cash for the meet and greet with the athletes for the Shaw Classic. I have last years and this years trading cards for the event. I would like to get several of them signed.

What would be the best sharpie/pen for autographs on these cards? Thanks for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2022SCcards.jpg (123.3 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg 2023SCcards.jpg (57.5 KB, 424 views)
Old 07-27-2023, 07:15 PM
d.ean

Blue sharpie. Silver would look good as well. Personally, I don't like the silver Sharpie. I purchased a silver sharpie-like pen at a hobby lobby type of store which worked well for me. You might want a card guy to chime in. In oder for the ink to stick, some cards need to be rubbed down. Do you have a spare card to test with?

Last edited by Huck; 07-27-2023 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-27-2023, 07:30 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

For the color of the cards I’d recommend a blue Sharpie . A silver Sharpie might look nice but it is more paint like and the cards need time to let the ink dry . No matter what ink you choose I would get a Pink Pearl brand eraser and go over the surface of the cards to remove any “ gloss “ from the surface for better adhesion of the ink . Good luck .
Old 07-29-2023, 02:29 PM
Ben North

Is there a certain size/tip blue sharpie I should get?

I will receive 4 of the new sets in the mail Monday. I would hate to sacrifice a card but I believe I will also receive an additional set at the show as part of the swag bag. So it wouldn't be the end of the world to sacrifice one or two I guess.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-29-2023, 07:32 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Fine or medium will work well with the size of the card , I always used new medium Sharpies because the point will stay pointed for a dozen or so signatures. Get several so you can change to a new Sharpie when you want or need to in order to keep the points fresh / pointed for the best quality of the signatures.
Old 07-31-2023, 06:19 PM
Ben North

I got the 2023 ones today. With as black as they are I am thinking a silver sharpie might be my best bet.

Top row is last year and bottom row are this years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sccards.jpg (186.7 KB, 309 views)
Old 07-31-2023, 07:52 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Yes I agree
Old 08-01-2023, 08:21 AM
d.ean

I would go with the medium point. I would avoid the fine point on those cards. I would find a different silver pen than the the silver sharpie. Do you know how the meet and greet is set-up? I would worry about those guys crushing the card. I got this idea from a collector friend. He took some foam board about standard page size and adhered four photo corners for the card/photo to house the card/photo. Easy load and unload,. This way the signer can hold the board and sign with the free hand. No need to find a hard surface or handle the card. You could make a larger board to house more cards.

https://www.autographu.com/the-best-...ng-autographs/

Since it sounds like you are getting multiples of the same guest. Create a page for each guest and just knockout each guest in one swoop.
Old 08-01-2023, 01:01 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I would go with the medium point. I would avoid the fine point on those cards. I would find a different silver pen than the the silver sharpie. Do you know how the meet and greet is set-up? I would worry about those guys crushing the card. I got this idea from a collector friend. He took some foam board about standard page size and adhered four photo corners for the card/photo to house the card/photo. Easy load and unload,. This way the signer can hold the board and sign with the free hand. No need to find a hard surface or handle the card. You could make a larger board to house more cards.

https://www.autographu.com/the-best-...ng-autographs/

Since it sounds like you are getting multiples of the same guest. Create a page for each guest and just knockout each guest in one swoop.
Not sure how it is set up. I do know it is at the end of the 2 day contest. So as cool as the thing in the link is it will not work. I am going to have to carry the cards on me all day long or at least most of it. There is a cool strongman expo in the morning and then the contest starts around 1pm with the M&G being around 7pm.

There are 3 days of the strongman expo with the 2 day strongman contest. Hoping between the expo and the M&G to get most/all the guys to sign their card(s).

I am going shopping tomorrow so will see what markers are available here and sacrifice a card for the cause.
Old 08-01-2023, 01:10 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Not sure how it is set up. I do know it is at the end of the 2 day contest. So as cool as the thing in the link is it will not work. I am going to have to carry the cards on me all day long or at least most of it. There is a cool strongman expo in the morning and then the contest starts around 1pm with the M&G being around 7pm.

There are 3 days of the strongman expo with the 2 day strongman contest. Hoping between the expo and the M&G to get most/all the guys to sign their card(s).

I am going shopping tomorrow so will see what markers are available here and sacrifice a card for the cause.
Backpacks are not allowed at the event?
Old 08-01-2023, 01:21 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Backpacks are not allowed at the event?
No, just clear small bags.
Old 08-02-2023, 09:21 AM
Ben North

I did find out the Metallic Silver Sharpie isn't an option. It looked horrible when I tried one. Maybe I will grab a paint marker in red and blue and give them a try.
Old 08-02-2023, 10:56 AM
d.ean

Quote:
I did find out the Metallic Silver Sharpie isn't an option. It looked horrible when I tried one. Maybe I will grab a paint marker in red and blue and give them a try.
I found an off brand silver pen at a local Micheal's type of store. It blew the silver sharpie out of the water. I will try and find the name of the brand.
Old 08-03-2023, 11:29 AM
D@vid Fel@

I think a lot of people like this brand

https://www.staedtler.com/dk/en/prod...en-8323-s-bk2/
Old 08-03-2023, 02:11 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by felada View Post
I think a lot of people like this brand

https://www.staedtler.com/dk/en/prod...en-8323-s-bk2/
I have never used a staedtler but I hear the pens are good.
Old 08-07-2023, 05:57 PM
Ben North

Turns out the 2 pack of silver Metallic sharpies I bought was junk. Weird both worked badly.

I ended up buying a 12 pack of assorted sharpies. It had gold and silver Metallic markers and they both worked and looked awesome. It also had several Neon markers but they didn't show up very good on a card. It also had regular sharpies. The purple, blue, and red all looked pretty good. I will take the last 3 and the 2 metallic markers with me.

Weirdly I have only got one autograph in my life. At this single event I am hoping to get many on this and last years cards, last years tickets and this years tickets. The 2 most important for me are Aivars Smaukstelis and Trey Mitchell.

Hopefully I can post some pics in a couple weeks.
Old 08-07-2023, 08:45 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Turns out the 2 pack of silver Metallic sharpies I bought was junk. Weird both worked badly.

I ended up buying a 12 pack of assorted sharpies. It had gold and silver Metallic markers and they both worked and looked awesome. It also had several Neon markers but they didn't show up very good on a card. It also had regular sharpies. The purple, blue, and red all looked pretty good. I will take the last 3 and the 2 metallic markers with me.

Weirdly I have only got one autograph in my life. At this single event I am hoping to get many on this and last years cards, last years tickets and this years tickets. The 2 most important for me are Aivars Smaukstelis and Trey Mitchell.

Hopefully I can post some pics in a couple weeks.
Good luck and have a good time!
Old 08-18-2023, 08:19 PM
Ben North

Got my first autograph today. A 8X10 but it kinda doesn't count. It was in my gift bag for buying front row floor seats. Hopefully in a couple days I will have some autographed cards to post pics of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8x10shaw.jpg (109.9 KB, 103 views)
Old 08-21-2023, 10:33 AM
Ben North

LOL. I found out first hand I am in no way an autograph person as I just didn't care when I actually had the opportunity to get all the strongmens autos.

I was lucky and had Nick Best sit beside me most of Saturday and a few times on Sunday. After the contest was over I asked Nick to sign this years print out ticket.

I did get by far my favorite strongman at the contest to sign last years hard ticket that he also competed in. It looks like a scribble but it is Aivars Smaukstelis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nick.jpg (166.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg aivars.jpg (67.9 KB, 61 views)