NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-09-2003, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Default Are these original?

Posted By: Dan Mckee

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=219&item=3241448665

view sellers other auctions.

Old 09-09-2003, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: HalleyGator

Not unless Mom just "stumbled" across 4 of the greatest cards in the hobby ...

and then decided to sell them for $600 rather than spend $60 to grade them and have them be worth $60,000.

Old 09-09-2003, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Dan, I already posted this in a different thread----they are fake. The seller is from Duluth Minn.

Old 09-09-2003, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mckee

Thanks Elliot, I missed that post, I need to read more often. Dan.

Old 09-09-2003, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

fact: the card is a forgery, or scuffed-up reprint
fact: the seller knows this
fact: ebay will receive the same commissions they get from a real Ruth card

the scam: "even though everyone tells me it's real, since it isn't graded I have to list it as a reprint"

why it works: stupidity mixed with greed
why it works: ebay assumes the seller is telling the truth and really doesn't know if it's real or not
why it works: the scan looks real enough

Old 09-09-2003, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Adams

All they have to do is turn the card over. Look at the image of the back of the card. On a real Mantle, the lettering TOPPS BASEBALL spans the width of 6 statistics columns and the 'printed in USA' to the right of that lettering is small and tight.

On the Mantle reprint, favored by the sellers feigning ignorance on the matter, the TOPPS BASEBALL spans the width of a full 8 statistics columns and the 'printed in the USA' is much larger, the lettering thinner, and the placement, closer to the edge. There are many more subtle indicators but this one printer's aspect is the best delineation for observation.

As already has been said, the other cards offered by this seller are worthless as well.

Old 09-09-2003, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

Looks like the 52t Mantle was stopped. Rob

Old 09-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

As I am new to this, please forgive my questions if they have been asked already. I am quickly learning the hazzards of scams on raw cards, but what about graded cards, and specifically PSA? I read about that company in San Diego that took out higher grade cards from the holders and replaced them with lower quality cards. Is this prevelant with PSA and with tobacco cards specifically? If so, how can you tell? Thanks in advance. I'm quickly getting up to speed and love this site!!
Chris