NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-10-2020, 08:07 AM

Default Shaw Collection Bidding Has Started!!

Bidding has started on our Shaw Collection Card and Memorabilia auction.
Click on the M.R. Clark banner at the top of this page that Leon made for us and check it out!
Lots of good feedback so far.
Thanks guys!!
Old 01-10-2020, 08:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1st Lot to Bid on is Lot #5

Good luck, Mike. Your set up is a bit different and the first lot to bid on is Lot number 5. Just so folks know......
Thanks for allowing Net54baseball to help spread the word. Advertising works (says the guy who sells advertising. )

Last edited by Leon; 01-10-2020 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:15 AM
je.sse @rnot

Mentioning a few specific auction highlights in this thread might get more members to click the banner ad.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Mentioning a few specific auction highlights in this thread might get more members to click the banner ad.
Would this help any?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cardsa.jpg (74.7 KB, 568 views)
Old 01-10-2020, 10:11 AM
je.sse @rnot

It doesn't hurt. That got me to click.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:31 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I just noticed this-- but it shows the high bidder's name.
Very interesting to know that!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2020, 12:37 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
You can actually look at the bidding history and see the username of every bidder!
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 01-10-2020, 12:39 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
It's not a name but their bidder ID. They also show bidding history. Both are HUGE +s in my book. Sadly nothing in the auction I am looking for but I wish you the best of luck and WILL definately be on the watch for their future auctions.

Last edited by bnorth; 01-10-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:54 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Auction

That looks like a nice auction. Front and back scans, low shipping charges, 10% BP, and what I especially like, the auctions start to end at 6 pm Central, with a 2 minute extended bidding period.

Nice job!

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
That looks like a nice auction. Front and back scans, low shipping charges, 10% BP, and what I especially like, the auctions start to end at 6 pm Central, with a 2 minute extended bidding period.

Nice job!
@aaronrothschild, @crazyuncle
Old 01-10-2020, 02:23 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
@aaronrothschild, @crazyuncle
Hi Ronnie, I'm not sure what that means.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Hi Ronnie, I'm not sure what that means.
He is being his usual snarky self, that is all.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:54 PM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
You can actually look at the bidding history and see the username of every bidder!
One way to watch for shilling!
Old 01-10-2020, 05:18 PM

Default Thanks for the support and kind words!

Guys I appreciate the kind words about our Shaw auction. You will find us to be 100% honest and upfront. In this area I feel we only have one chance to make a good impression with buyers. I’m sure we have and will make a few mistakes along the way and you guys and Leon have been very nice in offering input and advice to help us make a better presentation.
If you don’t see what you like here... stick around as we will have at least 3-4 more auctions for this estate. Even if you register and don’t bid, I can notify you about upcoming Card auctions with a push of a button.... gotta love technology!!
Thanks Mike
Old 01-10-2020, 08:06 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.R. Clark Auction View Post
Bidding has started on our Shaw Collection Card and Memorabilia auction.
Click on the M.R. Clark banner at the top of this page that Leon made for us and check it out!
Lots of good feedback so far.
Thanks guys!!
You might want to post a link in this thread. I’m lazy, and not the only one
Old 01-11-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
You might want to post a link in this thread. I’m lazy, and not the only one
Here is the link, which by the way I created by clicking the banner on the top part of the Net54 page, then right clicking the mouse and clicking 'copy', then right clicking on my post and clicking on 'paste'. I did choose the 100 lots per page option, which is the best way to view this auction.

https://www.apro.bid/auction/1919/bi...y/perpage_MTAw

Brian (just one tiny step above lazy)
Old 01-11-2020, 11:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Here is the link, which by the way I created by clicking the banner on the top part of the Net54 page, then right clicking the mouse and clicking 'copy', then right clicking on my post and clicking on 'paste'. I did choose the 100 lots per page option, which is the best way to view this auction.

https://www.apro.bid/auction/1919/bi...y/perpage_MTAw

Brian (just one tiny step above lazy)
I am lazy too, so either of the 1 click ways is good with me. Two clicks would be carrying it 1 click too far.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:11 PM

Seeing the bid history is awesome. I wish all auction houses did that, ESPECIALLY the ones who bid on their own auctions or allow for “hidden reserves”.

I think this should be the wave of the future; seems like a simple upgrade in a time of badly needed transparency
Old 01-11-2020, 01:36 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Seeing the bid history is awesome. I wish all auction houses did that, ESPECIALLY the ones who bid on their own auctions or allow for “hidden reserves”.

I think this should be the wave of the future; seems like a simple upgrade in a time of badly needed transparency
I can see both sides of this. Yes transparency is great. Shill bidding sucks. And any auction house that runs up bids with their house account should face the wrath of their customers. But I can also see how people wouldn't want to know what or how much I am bidding. There are a lot of very private people in the hobby who don't want others to know about their collection and would be very turned off if people knew what they were bidding on and how much they are spending. In addition, imagine the impact if people saw "Joe's Card Shop" was willing to pay x for a card and began thinking it must be a good deal if Joe is willing to buy it for that price. Or even if I knew you were looking at a card and I decided to run it up just cause I dislike you.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 01-11-2020, 01:41 PM

Default Bidding

I pride myself on running a straight up and fair honest auction... zero reserves and no shill bidding or BS. If there is one hard and fast rule I’ve learned in the auction business is that an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay.
My auction client understands this as well. Sometimes you take a hit but it all works out in the end.
Thanks for the positive feedback! I can tell you it really means a lot to me.
Mike
Old 01-11-2020, 01:46 PM

DJ- you are assuming that people use their name as a username. You did. But you don’t have to. You can maintain relative anonymity by calling yourself XYZ123 (you get the point).
Old 01-11-2020, 01:48 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
I can see both sides of this. Yes transparency is great. Shill bidding sucks. And any auction house that runs up bids with their house account should face the wrath of their customers. But I can also see how people wouldn't want to know what or how much I am bidding. There are a lot of very private people in the hobby who don't want others to know about their collection and would be very turned off if people knew what they were bidding on and how much they are spending. In addition, imagine the impact if people saw "Joe's Card Shop" was willing to pay x for a card and began thinking it must be a good deal if Joe is willing to buy it for that price. Or even if I knew you were looking at a card and I decided to run it up just cause I dislike you.
Yup, it's something I struggle with for exactly these reasons. Just because someone wants to be kept private doesn't necessarily mean it's nefarious. Of course at a live auction without absentee bids the point is moot.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-11-2020, 02:12 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.R. Clark Auction View Post
I pride myself on running a straight up and fair honest auction... zero reserves and no shill bidding or BS. If there is one hard and fast rule I’ve learned in the auction business is that an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay.
My auction client understands this as well. Sometimes you take a hit but it all works out in the end.
Thanks for the positive feedback! I can tell you it really means a lot to me.
Mike
Very much appreciate and like your business model. The Willie Mays 24th HR ball is a little suspect, but what ya gonna do. You are already near the top of auction houses in my book (that didn't take long) and move right up to be my second choice when it comes to auctioning off the FUDDJCAL collection. Good luck

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 01-11-2020 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:06 PM

Default Willie Mays Ball

Thanks for the support....
I just took that thing out of a box of other signed balls we have... it has absolutely no documentation and no way to prove Mays actually hit the ball out of Busch stadium. I guess you could trace the date back to the game and might find Mays did hit a homer at the park that night and that inning but no way to prove it. That being said... based on all the collection itself and all the quality things in it, I’d guess the thing is probably legit... but it’s still just a novelty with no proof.
Thanks for the interest!!! Mike
Old 01-12-2020, 07:32 AM
Robert Kasenter

Default Mays ball

According to baseball reference, Mays did hit his 18th home run of 1964 on May 28th in St. Louis. Obviously, that doesn’t prove it’s the ball and the date on the ball is off by one day, but it excuse the pun in the ballpark.