NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-21-2024, 04:28 PM

Default Ohtani CARDS are Mostly UNDERVALUED

I’m sorry - but I will die on this hill

The greatest most complete ball player cards are mostly undervalued

This feels like “Brady cards” after 2004

Guy can’t pitch this year ? Ho Hum - gets a 40/40 here in a couple weeks
Old 08-21-2024, 04:40 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Wrong board, my dude. This is a pre-1945 board. Your topic belongs in the post-1980 section of the Postwar Cards area.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-21-2024 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-21-2024, 05:05 PM
R0ck Cund.iff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Wrong board, my dude. This is a pre-1945 board. Your topic belongs in the post-1980 section of the Postwar Cards area.
Jesus H. Christ, draw up legal papers then.
Old 08-21-2024, 05:12 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfootIsReal View Post
Jesus H. Christ, draw up legal papers then.
Nothing wrong with his post that would warrant your post. Chill out!
Old 08-21-2024, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Crap. My bad…
Old 08-21-2024, 05:22 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboosted92 View Post
Crap. My bad…
Great response. BigfootIsReal could learn a thing or two from you.
Old 08-21-2024, 07:06 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Ohtani CARDS are Mostly UNDERVALUED
Or, Ohtani is overrated.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 08-21-2024, 10:23 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Next Babe Ruth?

Or…next Pete Rose?

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 08-22-2024, 05:24 AM

The hype machine needed to be turned way down for this guy. You just don't compare someone to Babe Ruth, plain and simple. The odds of living up to such expectations are practically nil. For me personally, all the hype turned me off from caring, but I don't follow modern baseball to begin with.

If the media had toned it down a few notches, far more people would be impressed by him. His stats are pretty nice. .667 PCT over 5 seasons? At this point, he's won exactly twice as many games as he's lost. When Babe Ruth is the bar you're expected to measure up to, you're basically left to twist in the wind if you can't prove you can walk on water.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 08-22-2024 at 05:32 AM.
Old 08-22-2024, 05:38 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

I don’t follow him all that much, mostly due to east coast bias, but this year he’ll get his third league MVP award in four years. The year he didn’t win he came in second. Guy is a smooth and powerful wrecking crew. Even if you leave aside the fact that he can be a top line ace (which is a big thing to leave aside), he has to be considered the best or at least a top three player in the game over the last 4 years.
Old 08-22-2024, 05:49 AM
Mike Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
The hype machine needed to be turned way down for this guy. You just don't compare someone to Babe Ruth, plain and simple. The odds of living up to such expectations are practically nil. For me personally, all the hype turned me off from caring, but I don't follow modern baseball to begin with.

If the media had toned it down a few notches, far more people would be impressed by him. His stats are pretty nice. .667 PCT over 5 seasons? At this point, he's won exactly twice as many games as he's lost. When Babe Ruth is the bar you're expected to measure up to, you're basically left to twist in the wind if you can't prove you can walk on water.
I don't mind the comparisons, because what Ohtani is doing in this era, relative to his peers, is incredible. We're in an age of intense specialization, where players have dietitians and strength coaches, and pitchers come out of academies that focus on spin rate, stride length, release point, etc. etc.

The fact that Ohtani is able to dominate both half-innings in that environment is incredible. I only wish he weren't doing it for the Dodgers.
Old 08-22-2024, 05:50 AM
J@son Per1

If his cards are priced like he's a modern day Babe Ruth, he is not undervalued. If he continues on this path and hits 500+ HRs and end up in the HOF then yeah I suppose the cards could go up, but more likely he goes the way of Mike Trout cards, which I have heard are down massively from their covid highs, despite the guy being a guaranteed first ballot HOF'er.
Old 08-22-2024, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboat82 View Post
I don't mind the comparisons, because what Ohtani is doing in this era, relative to his peers, is incredible. We're in an age of intense specialization, where players have dietitians and strength coaches, and pitchers come out of academies that focus on spin rate, stride length, release point, etc. etc.

The fact that Ohtani is able to dominate both half-innings in that environment is incredible. I only wish he weren't doing it for the Dodgers.
Fully agree, and your thoughts came to me after I posted. What you wrote can be seen just by checking out his stats. I must say that I was impressed. That was the first time I've given him much of any thought.
Old 08-22-2024, 06:05 AM

I find it hard to argue that he's overrated as a player for all of the reasons that others have stated. I'd go as far to say that he's one of the top 3 most impressive athletes in the world in any sport, given what he's been able to do in a major market US professional league -- where the sheer amount of money at play ensures a super high level of competitiveness.

In terms of his cards, I find some of his Japanese rookie cards (like some of the short-printed 2013 BBMs and Calbees) to be most interesting. The US ones from 2018 onward are an exercise in artificial scarcity since he was already a hyped star in the making by the time he hit US shores.
Old 08-22-2024, 06:15 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk400 View Post
I find it hard to argue that he's overrated as a player for all of the reasons that others have stated. I'd go as far to say that he's one of the top 3 most impressive athletes in the world in any sport, given what he's been able to do in a major market US professional league -- where the sheer amount of money at play ensures a super high level of competitiveness.

In terms of his cards, I find some of his Japanese rookie cards (like some of the short-printed 2013 BBMs and Calbees) to be most interesting. The US ones from 2018 onward are an exercise in artificial scarcity since he was already a hyped star in the making by the time he hit US shores.
There are a ton of artificially scarce cards that sell for $50,000+ every week in Goldin. Some of them for $150,000+.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 08-22-2024 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-22-2024, 06:45 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
There are a ton of artificially scarce cards that sell for $50,000+ every week in Goldin. Some of them for $150,000+.
LOL, yes but in a few years they will be in bargain bin boxes for $1. Not long ago Yasiel Puig was going to be the greatest ever and his rookie sold for 30k or 40k. PT Barnum would be proud of the pump and dumpers in our hobby.
Old 08-22-2024, 07:18 AM

Yasiel Puig didn't win two MVPs and isn't headed toward his third either.

A third MVP for Ohtani would put him in some pretty rarified air and I don't see a single bust among the players on that list except for Rodriguez and Bonds, who cheated, but still enjoy a strong following anyway.

Where's the dollar guy in this group of three time MVPs?

Barry Bonds,
Mike Trout,
Albert Pujols,
Alex Rodriguez,
Mike Schmidt,
Mickey Mantle,
Yogi Berra,
Roy Campanella
Old 08-22-2024, 07:18 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Yasiel will be on the Hall of Fame ballot soon, Ben. You may have to eat your words.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed from 2012 to 2024.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-22-2024, 07:24 AM
pete ullman

if ohtani's cards are undervalued...then babe ruth cards are a downright bargain.
Old 08-22-2024, 07:30 AM

Quote:

You can't compare Ruth and Ohtani. Ruth didn't have the option to pitch and DH. If he had, who knows what he could have been. This year, all Ohtani is doing is hitting, he isn't playing in the field. He has an OPS+ of 174. Ruth's career OPS+ was 206 and he played defense too.

As for pitching, Ruth started 147 games, completed 107 games and threw 17 shutouts. Ohtani has started 86 and had 1 complete game and shutout. Ruth led the league in ERA, something Ohtani is yet to do. Ohtani has a better ERA+, but he only pitches 5 1/2 innings per start, unlike Ruth who was expected to go through the lineup more than twice.
Old 08-22-2024, 07:39 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
You can't compare Ruth and Ohtani. Ruth didn't have the option to pitch and DH. If he had, who knows what he could have been. This year, all Ohtani is doing is hitting, he isn't playing in the field. He has an OPS+ of 174. Ruth's career OPS+ was 206 and he played defense too.

As for pitching, Ruth started 147 games, completed 107 games and threw 17 shutouts. Ohtani has started 86 and had 1 complete game and shutout. Ruth led the league in ERA, something Ohtani is yet to do. Ohtani has a better ERA+, but he only pitches 5 1/2 innings per start, unlike Ruth who was expected to go through the lineup more than twice.
Ohtani faces a higher quality player pool post-segregation. So there’s that.
Old 08-22-2024, 07:46 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

And he is not the best hitter in baseball. That would be Aaron Judge (who also plays a solid outfield).
Old 08-22-2024, 07:59 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
And he is not the best hitter in baseball. That would be Aaron Judge (who also plays a solid outfield).
Ohtani and Judge probably the two best hitters in the game. Judge has never pitched to my knowledge.
Old 08-22-2024, 08:05 AM

A lot of board people didn't think all that much of Judge either.
Old 08-22-2024, 08:13 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
A lot of board people didn't think all that much of Judge either.
Judge is awesome. His late start is what holds him back a little. Looks like he may catch and pass Trout in counting stats before it is over.
Old 08-22-2024, 08:14 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

The gambling situation is admittedly a valid response to this, but seriously what is there not to like about Ohtani?
Old 08-22-2024, 08:37 AM
Dave

Looks like he has it wrapped up in a weak field this year, especially since Ketel Marte got hurt, but has a DH ever won MVP before?
Old 08-22-2024, 08:48 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Yasiel will be on the Hall of Fame ballot soon, Ben. You may have to eat your words.
Puig will never be on a HOF ballot unless he comes back to the majors for a couple more years.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-22-2024, 08:59 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
Ohtani and Judge probably the two best hitters in the game. Judge has never pitched to my knowledge.
At least for now, Soto is in that discussion IMO.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-22-2024, 09:10 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Next Babe Ruth?

Or…next Pete Rose?
He's about to become the first 45/45 guy. How is that Pete Rose? Or anything even remotely close to Pete Rose? Rose's career high in HRs was 16 and 20 in SBs.
Old 08-22-2024, 09:11 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Judge is the best hitter in MLB now for sure. The only other players I'd put in that top echelon are Ohtani and Witt.
Old 08-22-2024, 09:17 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Undervalued? Seems to me that first ballot HOF entry is already 1000% baked into everything of his. Every single one of his 100 million cards printed is being treated like gold.
Old 08-22-2024, 09:21 AM

I don't think the comparisons to Babe Ruth will ever be in the realm of realistic but Ohtani is clearly playing well above expectations and is in a class of his own in the modern game. But there is no comparing to Ruth. Nobody will ever compare to Ruth.

Ruth hit 59 home runs but he also batted 378 that year. The year he hit 60 he batted 356. He's a career 342 hitter with 714 home runs. Nobody will ever be that good.

And now a card:

Last edited by packs; 08-22-2024 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-22-2024, 09:30 AM

Such a disgusting autograph. With his star power, I wish he'd put a little bit into his own brand by at least adding some recognizable style to it.

Jeter's autograph is not up my alley, either, but you can at least spot it from a mile away. Even Trout's "autograph" is recognizable to so many (can't even be bothered to lift the Sharpie up between a whopping two-lettered autograph). Everyone is so concerned about their "brand". Definitely an overused, nausea-inducing term, but a stylistic, if not even legible autograph should be a part of that. That thing shown above is just a scrawl that an angry toddler could convincingly emulate without even meaning to.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 08-22-2024 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-22-2024, 09:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Such a disgusting autograph. With his star power, I wish he'd put a little bit into his own brand by at least adding some recognizable style to it.

Jeter's autograph is not up my alley, either, but you can at least spot it from a mile away. Even Trout's "autograph" is recognizable to so many (can't even be bothered to lift the Sharpie up between a whopping two-lettered autograph). Everyone is so concerned about their "brand". Definitely an overused, nausea-inducing term, but a stylistic, if not even legible autograph should be a part of that. That thing shown above is just a scrawl that an angry toddler could convincingly emulate without even meaning to.
90 percent or more of modern players sign like this.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-22-2024, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
90 percent or more of modern players sign like this.
Doesn't make it right. And precisely why I quit collecting current players' autographs nearly 30 years ago.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 08-22-2024 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-22-2024, 09:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (180.0 KB, 525 views)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-22-2024 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-22-2024, 09:49 AM

The past was definitely beautiful in more ways than one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1951.jpg (79.0 KB, 522 views)
File Type: jpg leever, sam (1911)1 - Copy.jpg (38.2 KB, 513 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-08-22 114820.jpg (107.7 KB, 516 views)
Old 08-22-2024, 10:29 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
He's about to become the first 45/45 guy. How is that Pete Rose? Or anything even remotely close to Pete Rose? Rose's career high in HRs was 16 and 20 in SBs.
It was a reference to their potential similarities off the field.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 08-22-2024, 10:43 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
At least for now, Soto is in that discussion IMO.
Betts and Witt too. Henderson knocking on the door.
Old 08-22-2024, 11:01 AM

Mookie Betts is a good player but he's no Aaron Judge. Even at his peak he is overshadowed:

Betts MVP season: 186 OPS+ - pretty incredible year BUT
Judge MVP season: 210 OPS+ and his OPS+ right now is even better at 226
Old 08-22-2024, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Bobby Witt Jr, Aaron Judge and Soto could show him what they use gloves for. He's just a glorified DH and the MLB poster boy that the MLB Network shoeshine boys promote.
Old 08-22-2024, 11:27 AM
Peter Spaeth

He's a great enough hitter that the Dodgers may not want to risk a career ending injury by letting him pitch again.

Old 08-22-2024, 11:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
Betts and Witt too. Henderson knocking on the door.
Witt is too young IMO to make any judgments yet.

Old 08-22-2024, 11:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Mookie Betts is a good player but he's no Aaron Judge. Even at his peak he is overshadowed:

Betts MVP season: 186 OPS+ - pretty incredible year BUT
Judge MVP season: 210 OPS+ and his OPS+ right now is even better at 226
69.1 WAR and he's only 31. That's more than a "good" player.

Old 08-22-2024, 12:18 PM

Sure but he's not Aaron Judge even on his best day and that was my point.
Old 08-22-2024, 12:55 PM
R0ck Cund.iff

IF the Dodgers allow Ohtani to pitch again, I'll take Ohtani over Judge every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Old 08-22-2024, 01:00 PM

As a complete player sure but my comment was in reference to who the best hitter in baseball is. I believe it is Judge.

Soto put up a 200 OPS+ in 2020 during a short season. I think you have to go all the way back to Frank Thomas in 1994 to find the last 200 OPS+ season and that was still a strike shortened season.

I am purposely excluding Bonds / McGwire / Sosa for reasons I think are clear.

Last edited by packs; 08-22-2024 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2024, 01:05 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfootIsReal View Post
IF the Dodgers allow Ohtani to pitch again, I'll take Ohtani over Judge every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
You can have him! I'll take the judge!
Old 08-22-2024, 01:10 PM
R0ck Cund.iff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
You can have him! I'll take the judge!
World Series

Ohtani vs Judge

Ten AB's and I say Judge is good for a bloop single