NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-13-2020, 07:14 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Breaking News - Cleveland Indians

ugh.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (18.2 KB, 932 views)
Old 12-13-2020, 07:17 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Bring back the NAPS.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:18 PM
Jack Vernon

I really didn't wanna have to start doing an Old Judge run yet but if Spiders wins I guess I'm obligated
Old 12-13-2020, 07:21 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

This will do nothing for anyone. Just a total cave to the sjw movement. 105 years. Hope they never see the WS again. Are the Braves next?
Old 12-13-2020, 07:28 PM
Scott Ti3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
This will do nothing for anyone. Just a total cave to the sjw movement. 105 years. Hope they never see the WS again. Are the Braves next?
It doesn't hurt anyone either. Why are you so angry about this? SMH
Old 12-13-2020, 07:36 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Not angry at all. I just hate to see pointless concessions made to try to appease. It never works. I am also a history buff and with all the expansion and teams moving etc it’s sad to see one of the oldest teams in the league change their name. Why do you care enough to quote me and attempt to interpret my motives and emotions?
Old 12-13-2020, 07:39 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

And how long until the Buffalo Bills name has to be changed because it's so sexist??!! Maybe they should be called the Western NY Non-Gender Specific Team???

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:45 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

It will be fun to see what new name the franchise comes up with. What is lost in tradition, mainly to older fans, will be replaced with a nickname of greater excitement and relevance to younger generations.

From what I can tell nothing permanently bad came of renaming other franchises in the past. It will be something to get used to and then have bigger things to worry about.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 12-13-2020, 08:19 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Names and traditions matter.

In 50 years it will be ancient history, but would you rather be a New York Yankee or a Cleveland Drum Stick....or whatever they are going to come up with.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:41 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I know people get fired up about these things, especially with regard to Native Americans, and I certainly don't want to start a fight, but the question must be asked. When the snowball starts rolling downhill, when is it ever going to stop? And who is going to decide where it stops? Some snowflake who thinks 'Yankees' is offensive, because she's a southerner? A dog lover who finds 'Panthers,' 'Lions' and 'Jaguars' hateful to his sensibilities? My last name is Irish. Should I be p*ssed off to hell at Notre Dame or the Boston Celtics? No freakin' way!!! You can take each and every name in sports and find some pathetic reason to call it offensive. When will it ever stop??? Of course, there will be those of you who say anything referencing Indians is just on a whole different level, but is it really? Watch the floodgates open.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 12-13-2020 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:07 PM

I'm sure that most members of the indigenous community would not object if properly aware of/informed of the meaning behind the team name, and they should definitely have the final say in the matter. Was it not originally meant in the club's spirit of solidarity behind their Native teammate? Who is raising the bigger stink--I'm thinking it's more the PC crowd than anything else.

I totally understand abolishing "Redskins". That is offensive. While the term "Indians" is assuredly outdated, it's not the end of the world. First Nations people still use the term to refer to themselves. It's an incorrect term (we all know how it came to be), but it was never applied with racist intent from the inception of its use.

The Cleveland Sockalexii just doesn't have the same ring to it...

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 12-13-2020 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:11 PM
Pete Sycks

Cleveland disappointments. Straight and accurate.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 12-13-2020, 09:25 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
but the question must be asked. When the snowball starts rolling downhill, when is it ever going to stop? And who is going to decide where it stops?
It never stops at a reasonable time. One thing that is certain about human nature: whenever a major societal issue is fixed, people will go way too far the other direction (as the herd mentality and social pressures to jump on that snowball are too much to stop)
Old 12-13-2020, 09:45 PM
E. Angyal

Default I find it curious....

That they are doing it in a year where they are going to have a big salary dump. They are not going to be competiteve and I think some of the timing is to take attention away from the product they will be putting on the field.

Angyale
Old 12-13-2020, 09:53 PM
Ryan Phi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I know people get fired up about these things, especially with regard to Native Americans, and I certainly don't want to start a fight, but the question must be asked. When the snowball starts rolling downhill, when is it ever going to stop? And who is going to decide where it stops? Some snowflake who thinks 'Yankees' is offensive, because she's a southerner? A dog lover who finds 'Panthers,' 'Lions' and 'Jaguars' hateful to his sensibilities? My last name is Irish. Should I be p*ssed off to hell at Notre Dame or the Boston Celtics? No freakin' way!!! You can take each and every name in sports and find some pathetic reason to call it offensive. When will it ever stop??? Of course, there will be those of you who say anything referencing Indians is just on a whole different level, but is it really? Watch the floodgates open.
Pretty much agree with you on this. One of the reasons I left the US and only make occasional trips back to attend MLB games or sports collector shows. Im on the other side of the world now, manage a team that consists of 6 different religions, 8 different ethnicities, and we all celebrate each others holidays etc and we all get along. Try doing that in the US.

Tickets/Stubs:
Hank Aaron 714 HR
Hank Aaron 715 HR
Gehrig Appreciate Day
Shot Heard Round the World
1975 WS Game 6
1st All Star Game 1933
1986 WS Game 6
1988 WS Game 1
Dents HR 1978
Harvey Haddix May 29, 1959
Babe Ruth Called Shot
1955 WS Game 7
Bartman Game - Cubs
Billy Goat Game - Cubs
Black Cat Game - Cubs
Ray Chapman Hit
Brett Pine Tar Game
Merkles Boner
Old 12-13-2020, 09:56 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default new Mascot

In a nod to the age of the internet the new mascot will be called Chief Yahoo (with a Fire Chiefs hat to avoid problems)
Old 12-13-2020, 09:57 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.ź.Σ

I completely understand abandoning the Redskins name, and any mascot that depicts Native Americans in a bad light. However, I don’t understand the Indian aspect. It is just a name that Columbus coined, because he thought he landed in the Indies. He didn’t mean it in a derogatory way. Is the term Indian now unacceptable and political incorrect in every sense of its use? I’m not being flippant; I really don’t understand.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
I'm sure that most members of the indigenous community would not object if properly aware of/informed of the meaning behind the team name, and they should definitely have the final say in the matter. Was it not originally meant in the club's spirit of solidarity behind their Native teammate? Who is raising the bigger stink--I'm thinking it's more the PC crowd than anything else.

I totally understand abolishing "Redskins". That is offensive. While the term "Indians" is assuredly outdated, it's not the end of the world. First Nations people still use the term to refer to themselves. It's an incorrect term (we all know how it came to be), but it was never applied with racist intent from the inception of its use.

The Cleveland Sockalexii just doesn't have the same ring to it...
The last I heard, something like 90% of Native Americans were not offended by the names of the Indians, Braves, etc., even without necessarily knowing about Sockalexis. Who exactly are the owners of the Indians appeasing? I think it's more virtue signaling.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
I completely understand abandoning the Redskins name, and any mascot that depicts Native Americans in a bad light. However, I don’t understand the Indian aspect. It is just a name that Columbus coined, because he thought he landed in the Indies. He didn’t mean it in a derogatory way. Is the term Indian now unacceptable and political incorrect in every sense of its use? I’m not being flippant; I really don’t understand.
All of my Native friends and many others I happen to encounter can be heard using the term "Indian". Perhaps there are Native people who are offended by it, but I've never met a single person who was. Again, it's an incorrect term, not a racist one. Just a silly error from centuries ago, as you pointed out.

By all means, sentence the old mascot to the gallows, but strangely enough, the term "Indians" was in this instance one of unity between races, was it not?! Unfortunately, there's no way to convince the other side to take their blinders off.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:21 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

One question is why are some people so attached to Cleveland keeping the name Indians. It's pretty much of a nothing, generic beyond generic name. There's nothing particularly special or specific or regional about it.

My complaint about teams names like the Tigers, Bears and Lions is they are so generic and unimaginitive, and Tigers and Lions have nothing to do with Detroit or Michigan. Maybe they had a bear come within 200 miles of Chicago 90 years ago, but it would have been pretty puny and 200 miles would place it in Wisconsin.

Last edited by drcy; 12-13-2020 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:30 PM

The announcement is anticlimactic. The movement and support for this change developed over decades. It was just a matter of timing.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:31 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

The whole thing is dumb. But if they are going to change the name, why not Cleveland Native Americans? Montreal Canadians is okay, isn't it?

I'm in Minnesota and wonder why teams can be called Vikings, or Celtics, or Irish, but not Indians. It actually seems a bit racist to eliminate Indians from the league, after 100 years. I mean, are Indians offensive to anybody?

Makes no intellectual sense. Some people just like to tell others what to do (or they will claim to be victimized and offended.)
Old 12-13-2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
One question is why are some people so attached to Cleveland keeping the name Indians. It's pretty much of a nothing, generic beyond generic name. There's nothing particularly special or specific or regional about it.
David--Surely you're familiar with why the team was originally named the Indians?! If more people knew the story, there would be a fight to keep the name, but that's not going to happen.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:40 PM

MLB will make out like bandits. Those who want the old jerseys, hats, etc will be grabbing them up for sentimental reasons while the new team-name jerseys, hats, etc will fly off the shelves for obvious reasons as well.

Rob M
Old 12-13-2020, 10:42 PM
Anson

MLB is being wokeafied.
Old 12-13-2020, 11:29 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

It will never stop. They'll always find something to be offended by.

Next are the Chiefs, I'm guessing. Then the Braves. Then the Reds. Then the Yankees. Then the Metropolitans. Then the Cardinals (because Catholic Bishops have feelings too).

Woke MLB will lose more fans, and have no idea why.
Old 12-13-2020, 11:44 PM
Trey
Tr.ey Bu0y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
However, I don’t understand the Indian aspect. It is just a name that Columbus coined, because he thought he landed in the Indies. He didn’t mean it in a derogatory way. Is the term Indian now unacceptable and political incorrect in every sense of its use? I’m not being flippant; I really don’t understand.
I'm not sure anyone understands it.

This is from the National Museum of the American Indian:
"What is the correct terminology: American Indian, Indian, Native American, or Native?
All of these terms are acceptable. The consensus, however, is that whenever possible, Native people prefer to be called by their specific tribal name. In the United States, Native American has been widely used but is falling out of favor with some groups, and the terms American Indian or indigenous American are preferred by many Native people."

Years back, I believed Indian was the acceptable terminology and was later lead to believe Native American was more appropriate. I think I remember reading a poll awhile ago that many people that identify with this group find the term Native American more offensive than just Indian. My memory could be foggy on that though. I never mean to offend anyone, but it's hard to tell which one is preferred. I guess like anything, when you're dealing with people someone will complain.

I'm sure at some point team names like Yankees, Vikings, Celtics, etc will be forced to change as well. Once the animal rights advocates get going the animal names will vanish too.

Stanford used to use Indian as their name back in the day and changed their name to just a color, Cardinal. Their mascot is now a tree. Maybe some sort of plant or tree could be used for Cleveland. I think Buckeyes is taken.
Old 12-13-2020, 11:50 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeboo View Post
Maybe some sort of plant or tree could be used for Cleveland...
No. I'd be offended.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:05 AM
M@++ Cyganik

My vote is for the Cleveland Steamers, especially since they’ll be taking a dump... in salary, this year if they trade Lindor.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:44 AM
Mikeknapp

My father is a life long 80 year old Tribe fan from Sharon Pennsylvania. He quit wearing his Chief Wahoo coat last year. I asked him why? I asked him if he thought the team name and Chief Wahoo were racist symbols. He answered, “I don’t know, and it’s not my place to tell Native Americans what they should or should not find racially offensive or insensitive. It’s just coat, I’ll survive” He is a very smooth old guy. My mother always described him as James Dean mixed with a Miles Davis sense of cool. My mother was right. I have spent 57 years trying to measure up to him and have always fallen woefully short.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)

Last edited by 71buc; 12-14-2020 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:26 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
David--Surely you're familiar with why the team was originally named the Indians?! If more people knew the story, there would be a fight to keep the name, but that's not going to happen.
I know about Sockalexis, but don't know that the Sockalexes story behind the name is entirely true. That itself may be a bit of myth.

Woke and PC culture annoy me as much as it annoys anyone, but the general fair standard is it's should be up to the people if it's acceptable that a team use them as a mascot. The Scandanavian Minnesotans (I'm a Scandinavian descendant of Vikings via my dad who was from Minnesotans) chose the Vikings moniker. The team founders included Ole Haugsrud and H. P. Skoglund, which are about as Norwegian of names as you can find. I don't know, but I assume Irish-Americans in Boston are find with the name being called the Celtics. The co-namer of the Celtics was Irish-American, and the other, Walter A. Brown, may have been as well. Not sure what Walter A Brown was, but he was from metro-Boston (Irish-American central) and Brown is a British or Irish surname.

If the name offends Indians than that's the determiner. Though if the name does not then it does not. One cannot merely assume it offends them, and activists often don't represent the views of the majority of the demographic they represent. I don't know what is the polling on Indians on the issue

Last edited by drcy; 12-14-2020 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:09 AM
Andy Wa.lko

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
The last I heard, something like 90% of Native Americans were not offended by the names of the Indians, Braves, etc., even without necessarily knowing about Sockalexis. Who exactly are the owners of the Indians appeasing? I think it's more virtue signaling.
Beat me to it. Several years ago the Washington Post pushed hard to get the Redskins to change their name, but they finally gave up after a poll found very few Natives were offended by the term. Of course flash forward to last year and they started up again, and were successful this time.

Personally I don't care strongly one way or another, names change over time. But we should at least be honest about who we're really appeasing...it's largely white progressives.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:10 AM

While I agree that the name “Indians” is not in of itself racist, that is not the full history of the nickname. The problem is really Chief Wahoo and that cannot be totally undone by simply dropping the logo. Let’s stop pretending that the name was an honor for the last 100 years. If the name was meant to be an honor they would not have picked an incredibly racist image to wear on their sleeves. The logo was dehumanizing and mean. It was based on stereotype.

I think that many people also have never been taught the actual history of what the county did to native Americans. I am not talking about treaties in the 1830’s or the trail of tears. I am talking about taking children from their parents without consent and either sending them to schools or adoptive white parents to “take the Indian out of them.” This is a practice that continued until the 1970’s. This is practice that is easier to justify when the common culture mocks what it means to be Indian.

Finally I am not saying that all Native names have to be changed. They can be an honor. Look at the Florida Seminoles. For all of that programs other problems they have done a great job working with the Seminole tribe to have actual historical context and celebration of the culture.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
If it gets rid of the tomahawk chop, that would be a good thing.

Cleveland's nickname is dumb. An Indian is a person from India, not a Native American. Also, the team wasn't named to honor a former player. That myth has been debunked.

Columbus may have failed at Math, but why should we perpetuate his ignorance? The Greeks had proven the Earth was round by the 6th century BC. They had discovered the Earth's circumference by the 2nd century BC. If the Italian's were so enlightened, why wasn't this well known in Italy in the 15th century AD?
Old 12-14-2020, 07:00 AM
Doug

Cleveland Americans?
Old 12-14-2020, 07:08 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Actually that story is a bit of a myth. Sockalexis played for a National league team based in Cleveland, and entirely different franchise that went belly up in 1899. He was 2 years dead by the time the AL team changed their name from the Naps. Many baseball history buffs think the name had more to do with the Boston Braves being a hot team at the time and Native American themed nicknames being popular in general.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 12-14-2020 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:11 AM
J@son Per1

The Cleveland Baseball Team.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:13 AM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Perfect summation. This is also the group that is never satisfied and only get more emboldened by these concessions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime View Post
Beat me to it. Several years ago the Washington Post pushed hard to get the Redskins to change their name, but they finally gave up after a poll found very few Natives were offended by the term. Of course flash forward to last year and they started up again, and were successful this time.

Personally I don't care strongly one way or another, names change over time. But we should at least be honest about who we're really appeasing...it's largely white progressives.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:44 AM
Charles
Cha.rles

The Cleveland Grovers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grover.jpg (9.5 KB, 571 views)

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore
Old 12-14-2020, 08:26 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
My father is a life long 80 year old Tribe fan from Sharon Pennsylvania. He quit wearing his Chief Wahoo coat last year. I asked him why? I asked him if he thought the team name and Chief Wahoo were racist symbols. He answered, “I don’t know, and it’s not my place to tell Native Americans what they should or should not find racially offensive or insensitive. It’s just coat, I’ll survive” He is a very smooth old guy. My mother always described him as James Dean mixed with a Miles Davis sense of cool. My mother was right. I have spent 57 years trying to measure up to him and have always fallen woefully short.
Great tribute to your father. I'm going to start trying to measure up to him as well.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:37 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Perfect summation. This is also the group that is never satisfied and only get more emboldened by these concessions.
This is true. You want to go by what the demographic (Indians, Black, other) wants, but vocal activists often don't represent the views of the demographic. In fact, I'd wager that they rarely do. And one must not assume what they want, or do "what's good for them irrelevant to what they want," as activists often do.

A prime example is the activists in Minneapolis wanted to "defund the police," and the city council and Mayor went along with that. However, when they polled Blacks in Minneapolis, the majority didn't support that. The city council and Mayor made the common mistake of thinking the vocal activists were a proxy of Blacks in general. Nationally, polling has shown that the majority of Blacks in the United States don't support defund the police, and want more the same or more police in their neighborhoods. The majority want better (reform) policing where they live not less.

Last edited by drcy; 12-14-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:58 AM
Casey

The University of Minnesota got it right. The Golden Gophers. Who could complain about a gopher with a cape?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20201214-095703.jpg (76.4 KB, 528 views)
Old 12-14-2020, 09:08 AM
Andy Wa.lko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case12 View Post
The University of Minnesota got it right. The Golden Gophers. Who could complain about a gopher with a cape?
People with buck teeth?
Old 12-14-2020, 10:09 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
My complaint about teams names like the Tigers, Bears and Lions is they are so generic and unimaginitive, and Tigers and Lions have nothing to do with Detroit or Michigan. Maybe they had a bear come within 200 miles of Chicago 90 years ago, but it would have been pretty puny and 200 miles would place it in Wisconsin.
This is incorrect, I would say all of the older franchise names have deeper meaning (many from their original locations of origin). The Detroit Tigers were named as a tribute to the Civil War Brigade for Detroit, "The Tigers". The original name of the Wolverines was never official. The Portmouth Spartans were relocated to Detroit and were renamed the Lions as a tribute to the popular sports team in the city...The Tigers. It was a theme.

The Bears were again a young franchise named to reflect the popularity of the other popular team of the city and continue a theme as well...The Cubs. They were previously the Decatur Staleys and named after a starch company that owned them. Not exactly a catchy name.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 12-14-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:10 AM

If you study Sockalexis, it is 100% not a myth and completely true, but you have to understand the context to get how the timeline works. It had nothing to do with honoring his death and it drives me crazy when people say "he died in 1913 and the team changed names in 1915, therefore its a myth."

In a short summation, the Cleveland franchise had a buzz when Sockalexis came up that is impossible to understand today. The story of how he got to Cleveland is even better but I wont go there. It was a Lebron in high school thing, or Jeremy "Linsanity" on a national level, but MORE because baseball was the only sport people cared about. Every team wanted him, everyone knew he was the most talented player in the nation (college or pro at the time) and when Cleveland got him, it was a HUGE national event. For that summer of 1896, Cleveland was the center of the baseball world and it was EXCITING. Reporters came from Europe to do stories on him and his exploits were front page news. The team became known as the "Indians" unofficially the entire year. They sold out to packed stadiums with crowds outside trying to "scalp" tickets!

Fast forward twenty years later, they were the "Naps" and then their leader jumped to the Federal League. Cleveland was in a bad spot and wanted to regain something to be proud of, recapture some sort of buzz about the team again. It was at this time they decided to harken back to the "Indians", back when it was fun and exciting to be a Cleveland baseball fan. It was a nod to Sockalexis' time in Cleveland, but not a direct naming of the franchise after him, which is where people get misguided.

Last edited by prewarsports; 12-14-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:18 AM
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCyganik View Post
My vote is for the Cleveland Steamers, especially since they’ll be taking a dump... in salary, this year if they trade Lindor.
Well, the city already has the Cleveland Browns so that actually makes perfect sense.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:29 AM
Tony Davis

Not sure how valid the 90% figure is...

https://www.washingtonian.com/2020/0...redskins-name/

The term Indian is not offensive at all - funny story, I tell my 12yo daughter she is an Indian, she tells me she's Native American.

This shit is offensive, and I'm glad it'll be gone. Call me woke or a social justice warrior, but no Native should ever have to look at this and think in their minds, "Is this what an Indian is? Is this how people see me?" There are many Native kids struggling everyday with their identities, and this needs to stop on all levels. The lack of humanity and empathy is staggering to me in the sake of the inconvenience of changing a sports team mascot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (76.0 KB, 474 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (75.5 KB, 474 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (73.0 KB, 473 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (58.4 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (72.1 KB, 472 views)
Old 12-14-2020, 10:32 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

After killing most of these people off, and then relegating the remaining ones to horrible reservations, I think we've earned the right to use cartoon images of them as mascots for sports teams. They should probably be honored. Just like all the other races that are reflected on sport teams' uniforms and hats.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:33 AM
Bill Cauley

Cleveland Wild Things
Old 12-14-2020, 10:46 AM

Cleveland Mistake by the Lake

Brian