NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-05-2015, 06:29 PM
rgpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Are you certain the black is legitimately under the green text?? With the relative 'slickness' of the green ink as compared to the super absorbency of the dull, non-coated cardboard, it seems likely the card was written on by a kid with a magic marker and it isn't some bizarre printing variation. That would account for the black marker being murky on top of the green words. Occam's razor and all that. Plus, there was no black ink (black plate) involved in the printing of 1975 Topps backs.
I did a test on a 75 common card with a black marker, the ink covered the letters.Also when you look at the Gibson card at different angles under a bright light with a 10x jewelers loupe the mark is behind the green letters
Old 09-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpete View Post
I did a test on a 75 common card with a black marker, the ink covered the letters.Also when you look at the Gibson card at different angles under a bright light with a 10x jewelers loupe the mark is behind the green letters
I have found that a 1200dpi or better scan works much better than a small 10X loupe. Also compare the black ink on the back of your card to the black ink on the front of another 75 Gibson card under a cfl, halogen, and black light to make sure the ink reacts the same under those 3 different light sources. Some swear by only black lights, I find them to be the least useful unless the card was altered by a modern marker/ink.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:06 PM
rgpete

2 more scans
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gibson 005.jpg (72.7 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg Gibson 006.jpg (71.6 KB, 269 views)
Old 09-05-2015, 07:27 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpete View Post
2 more scans
Scan quality is greatly reduced when posting. Do you have a cfl bulb in a dark room? If so go in there and hold the front of the card right by the bulb and tilt it back and forth and notice how the black is still a nice dark black. Now do the same with the black on the back. The blacks front/back should look EXACTLY the same when doing this. Most black markers will look more greyish than dark black when you do this.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:33 PM
rgpete

last one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gibson 008.jpg (34.6 KB, 301 views)
Old 09-05-2015, 08:01 PM
Steve Birmingham

Tough call on that one.

The black on the back would seem to be from a marker for sure. Not a printed mark.

Where it gets tough is deciding whether the green is actually over the marker. If the marker has water based ink it might be repelled by the oil based printers ink. An oil based marker would cover the oil based ink.

The second set of scans really looks like it shows some black visible under the green. What a very close look would show is if the black appears to be under because it's filling in small holes in the green.

This is the sort of thing I'd file under "cool but hard to prove" could a Topps employee have scribbled on the cardboard with a marker and that cardboard got printed on? Yes, Topps was pretty lax back then. Even into the early90's.
I have a couple cards that were marked by crayon that I got from packs. I know they're for real, but if it wasn't a glossy card with the gloss printed over the crayon It would be impossible to prove.
Another would be the two halves of a hockey card that came out of the pack torn in half. Saw it pulled, but it's impossible to prove other than that it has no other wrinkles and is cut nice and clean. I've tried duplicating it, but can't. Still a very tough thing to explain.

Steve B
Old 09-05-2015, 08:03 PM
Al Richter

Default Warning

If you do take Ben up on his suggestion, do not let anyone see you doing it or you may be asked to take some psychological tests
Old 09-05-2015, 08:10 PM
Al Richter

Default Over or under

Somewhere here there is a thread with the same issue involving a different card. If I can remember the card I will try to find the thread
Old 09-05-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Somewhere here there is a thread with the same issue involving a different card. If I can remember the card I will try to find the thread
I believe you are thinking of the 1961 Topps Clay Dalrymple, someone here had one with the Phillies hat colored in with a black marker, but that person was convinced that it was a legitimate variation and that it was printed that way on the sheet.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:42 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
I believe you are thinking of the 1961 Topps Clay Dalrymple, someone here had one with the Phillies hat colored in with a black marker, but that person was convinced that it was a legitimate variation and that it was printed that way on the sheet.
Yes Cliff that is my card. I have looked at it under every type of light imaginable. With a top lighted 100X microscope and the black ink on his hat matches the black ink in the rest of the card exactly.

EDITED to add I even soaked the card for 4 hours and tried to remove some of the black on his hat with a q-tip with no luck.

Last edited by bnorth; 09-05-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:39 PM
rgpete

Burden of proof 2 more scans of black spots. They can be seen on the previous scan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gibson 001 - Copy.jpg (67.6 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg Gibson 001.jpg (24.4 KB, 278 views)