NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-09-2017, 08:10 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Elvis' body of work hasn't stood up well over time. I will stick by it. He was revolutionary for his day but his music hasn't stayed prominent.
What does that mean, hasn't stood up well over time? What criteria are you applying? I will go with Rolling Stone's assessment if I need to go beyond my own opinion which is that he remains among the very few greatest rock singers.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-09-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:18 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
What does that mean, hasn't stood up well over time? What criteria are you applying? I will go with Rolling Stone's assessment if I need to go beyond my own opinion which is that he remains among the very few greatest rock singers.
Graceland is packed every single day of the week with tourists. He's been dead for 30 years. What other entertainer who has been gone that long has such a following? And Elvis has his own channel on Sirius -- do the Beatles?

I don't see how anyone can state objectively that his music has not stood up over time. His music is timeless, and I'm not even the biggest Elvis fan (though I have been to Graceland).
Old 05-09-2017, 08:22 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Graceland is packed every single day of the week with tourists. He's been dead for 30 years. What other entertainer who has been gone that long has such a following? And Elvis has his own channel on Sirius -- do the Beatles?

http://www.siriusxm.com/thebeatleschannel
Old 05-09-2017, 08:49 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Well then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paul and ringo laughing.jpg (15.4 KB, 319 views)
Old 05-09-2017, 08:56 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I think people will recognize the name Elvis for many decades to come, but relatively few of them will enjoy listening to his music, so he's transcended his talents and entered the ranks of famous for being famous.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:48 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Damn. Not sure how I missed that. Has this been on for long?

PS the fact that I was unaware of this channel supports my argument that the Beatles don't resonate today as well as Elvis does.

Last edited by calvindog; 05-09-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:11 AM
pete ullman

Quote:

PS the fact that I was unaware of this channel supports my argument that the Beatles don't resonate today as well as Elvis does.
Gotta disagree with you here, Jeff...the beatles reasonate 100 x's more than elvis does today!
Old 05-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Bill Avery

Just my two cents but I would rather listen to Elvis than the Beatles as I think most if not all of their music has not age well at all either.

And I definitely would not want to watch any of Elvis or the Beatles movies.

Again just my two cents on the topic.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:26 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Everyone's entitled to their opinions. Elvis was a revolutionary musical performer, an actor, and a larger than life persona. As to the movies, they are not watched today really by anyone. The persona part had its day, but I wouldn't want to be looking for work as an Elvis impersonator these days. As to the music, so what that satellite radio has a station. They have a Jimmy Buffett channel too and I'd hardly argue that he's a revolutionary anything. Elvis sold a ton or records in his day and I am sure his estate sells relatively few these days. Graceland? Nowhere close to the tourist pull it was. (Don't believe the hype from Elvis Presley Enterprises, Inc.) Cool place I've been there twice. Planes are gone. Man has his place in rock and roll history.
Last time I was at Sun Studios all my tour guide wanted to talk about was Johnny Cash.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 05-09-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:28 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I am not sure that I understand what is being argued here regarding Elvis/The Beatles etc. Of course much of their music would not hold up for today's generation. Music tastes change. Attitudes change. Most importantly, what Elvis and The Beatles did has been either mimicked or at least partially copied so much over the past 50+ years that it has watered down the original.

Like anything else they need to be viewed in the context of their time. Citizen Kane was a landmark film in 1939 for many many reasons. Those reasons soon became standard film making practice. 75 years later my kids watch it and only see the story and it being "just another film". Without the historical context this is what happens.

Just because the music of Elvis or The Beatles may not "hold up" to today's generation doesn't make them any less important. In some ways, the influence of Elvis and The Beatles permiating every corner of the music industry has led to their own music not "holding up". It has been copied and mimicked so often that it has watered down the content of the original. Until you put them in their true historical context. Like a Citizen Kane.

Tom C

Last edited by btcarfagno; 05-09-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
I am not sure that I understand what is being argued here regarding Elvis/The Beatles etc. Of course much of their music would not hold up for today's generation. Music tastes change. Attitudes change. Most importantly, what Elvis and The Beatles did has been either mimicked or at least partially copied so much over the past 50+ years that it has watered down the original.

Like anything else they need to be viewed in the context of their time. Citizen Kane was a landmark film in 1939 for many many reasons. Those reasons soon became standard film making practice. 75 years later my kids watch it and only see the story and it being "just another film". Without the historical context this is what happens.

Just because the music of Elvis or The Beatles may not "hold up" to today's generation doesn't make them any less important. In some ways, the influence of Elvis and The Beatles permiating every corner of the music industry has led to their own music not "holding up". It has been copied and mimicked so often that it has watered down the content of the original. Until you put them in their true historical context. Like a Citizen Kane.

Tom C
Tom, very well articulated, bro. Right on, man! --Brian Powell
Old 05-09-2017, 10:38 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post

Tom C
Only point I was making was that while Elvis was a huge act (the biggest probably), I can understand why his memorabilia has fallen off a cliff. I don't think his musical has held up for new generations of music fans. Some rare performers, the Beatles for example, will always convert new generations. Go to a McCartney show and watch 10 year singing every song. Doesn't mean they are better or worse. But they continue to resonate. James Dean continues to be know today despite a very limited career. 1000000s of better actors have lapsed into obscurity.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:18 AM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:

I think the station is new in the past week or so.