NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Furthermore....re..T206 Chase (blue)

Hey Jeff L......et al

By my count, the blue Chase even beats out the Red Cobb with respect to the number of different backs.
The blue Chase has been confirmed with 22 different T206 backs.....it includes BROAD LEAF 350, LENOX,
and Red HINDU.
I expect that it will be found with a BROAD LEAF 460 back and a DRUM back.

Chase was NOT printed with AMERICAN BEAUTY 460, nor UZIT.

The Red Cobb has been confirmed with 22 different T206 backs......it includes BROAD LEAF 460, DRUM,
and LENOX.
I do not expect it to be found with anymore T206 backs.

Cobb was NOT printed with AMERICAN BEAUTY 460, nor Red HINDU, nor UZIT.

TED Z
Old 04-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Ted, if that card shows up with a Drum back....well, I just hope I'm solvent when the time comes.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Jeff L

My best guess is that perhaps the next DRUM find (out of St Louis) will have our "blue buddy", Mr. Chase.
So, you better start stashing your $$$$$ away now. I will not even try to bid on it, as you will out do me.

Most likely, your friends at Legendary will come up with the DRUM

I've seen Ron Oser acquire the two most recent DRUM finds. I refer to him as the "DRUM magnet".

How's about this deal.....you get the DRUM.....and, you don't contend with me when his BROAD LEAF 460
card becomes available ?

Regards,

TED Z
Old 04-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Chris

Default Nice

What is the best way to get drool out of a keyboard?...
Old 04-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Jim D

You put it in the dishwasher and it washes it all away

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 04-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post

How's about this deal.....you get the DRUM.....and, you don't contend with me when his BROAD LEAF 460
card becomes available ?

Regards,

TED Z
Done!
Old 04-20-2010, 04:50 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

I've been thinking of starting on Chase now that Murphy is close to done...
Old 04-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Wonka

Welcome to the club.......now that Jeff and I have most of our blue Chase cards

Just don't go after the ones we're still looking for....you have to wait your turn

TED Z
Old 04-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default UPDATED list of Red HINDU's....show off your T206's

Hey guys....anymore new Red HINDU's to report....or show off ?

Meanwhile, here's a thought-provoking question for any one on this forum....

Why did American Litho. use RED ink to print these HINDU cards ?

The subsequent HINDU T205 cards are printed with Brown ink.

TED Z
Old 04-21-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hey Jeff L......et al

By my count, the blue Chase even beats out the Red Cobb with respect to the number of different backs.
The blue Chase has been confirmed with 22 different T206 backs.....it includes BROAD LEAF 350, LENOX,
and Red HINDU.
I expect that it will be found with a BROAD LEAF 460 back and a DRUM back.

Chase was NOT printed with AMERICAN BEAUTY 460, nor UZIT.

The Red Cobb has been confirmed with 22 different T206 backs......it includes BROAD LEAF 460, DRUM,
and LENOX.
I do not expect it to be found with anymore T206 backs.

Cobb was NOT printed with AMERICAN BEAUTY 460, nor Red HINDU, nor UZIT.

TED Z

Except for this one Ted. This is a perfect example of why I dont "blindly" agree with what all you "old time" collectors say in here. I like to actually research and do a little new thinking for myself.

http://robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2009/169.html
Old 04-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago206 View Post
Except for this one Ted. This is a perfect example of why I dont "blindly" agree with what all you "old time" collectors say in here. I like to actually research and do a little new thinking for myself.

http://robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2009/169.html

Is it possible for you to ask any question without the edge?

Ted is well aware of that Cobb. Very little in an REA auction slips by this board. It was discussed at length, in this thread last year.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...red+cobb+hindu

Right or wrong, Ted suspects that card has been tampered with. That isn't a new opinion for him. He felt that way before you became a big time collector.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:47 AM

Well, when an expert collector says no Red Cobbs with Red Hindus were printed....and then I find one that recently sold...whats a "dumb newbie" like me to think?

And the "edge" is due to the lynchmob mentality here. Something that will soften once you guys set down your torches and pitchforks im sure.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Well, when an expert collector says no Red Cobbs with Red Hindus were printed....and then I find one that recently sold...whats a "dumb newbie" like me to think?

And the "edge" is due to the lynchmob mentality here. Something that will soften once you guys set down your torches and pitchforks im sure.

Read the thread.

If you had searched "red Cobb red Hindu" in the search function you could have easily found it yourself.

Instead you link to a recent auction, that was thoroughly discussed and attack Ted's credibility.

THAT...
is why we have what you call a "lynchmob mentality" We have already talked about it, but you wave it like it's new.

Don't get me wrong. There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking the question. I've asked Ted and others lots of questions, some of them, very dumb questions. In this case you could have phrased it better. Instead of terms like "blindly agree" and "old timers" you could have tried this:

Hi Ted. I noticed you were pretty certain that there is no Red Cobb w/Red Hindu back. I also noticed that one of them sold in last year's REA. Do you suspect there is something wrong with this front/back combo and therefore, this card? Thanks, in advance for your time.

Last edited by Jim VB; 04-21-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Read the thread.

If you had searched "red Cobb red Hindu" in the search function you could have easily found it yourself.

Instead you link to a recent auction, that was thoroughly discussed and attack Ted's credibility.

THAT...
is why we have what you call a "lynchmob mentality" We have already talked about it, but you wave it like it's new.

Just read the 4 pages of that thread. There is nothing conclusive about Ted's assertion that the card isnt real. It may be re-backed, it may be legit. What I get from Ted's argument is that because he has never seen, in person, a Cobb with a Hindu back, they must not exist. Im not too sure i'd subscribe to that theory. Someone dropped 38 large on that card. I tend to think that the guy who spends that type of money may know something about what he is buying. Ted offered conjecture, hypothesis, and his opinion. The other guy offered a year's worth of the average person's salary. Furthermore, since that very public sale occured about 3 years ago, dont you think it would be known by now if the card was indeed altered?
Old 04-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Just read the 4 pages of that thread. There is nothing conclusive about Ted's assertion that the card isnt real. It may be re-backed, it may be legit. What I get from Ted's argument is that because he has never seen, in person, a Cobb with a Hindu back, they must not exist. Im not too sure i'd subscribe to that theory. Someone dropped 38 large on that card. I tend to think that the guy who spends that type of money may know something about what he is buying. Ted offered conjecture, hypothesis, and his opinion. The other guy offered a year's worth of the average person's salary. Furthermore, since that very public sale occured about 3 years ago, dont you think it would be known by now if the card was indeed altered?
That "very public sale" occured on May 03, 2009, not quite a year ago. The thread I linked was from last January, BEFORE the REA catalog came out.

I don't know if Ted's right or not. That's not my point. The important thing is he's put a lot more thought and effort into tracking T206 than you ever will. Show some manners. He offered a lot more than conjecture.

And the first thing I learned in the high end of this hobby is that there is always someone with more money than you could imagine, who are willing to drop $38,000 on a card they think is rare.

It's not always about who has the most money. They are not always the smartest. Money doesn't always trump everything else. Hell, I heard the owner of the Arizona Diamondbacks dropped $2.8 million on a trimmed card.

Last edited by Jim VB; 04-21-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Just read the 4 pages of that thread.

Did you know you can adjust your settings in the User CP to allow up to 80 posts per page instead of the preset number of 10?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Joe P.

Default Whilst ( :) ) I might not agree with your approach sometimes, but .....

Quote:

I definitely agree with your statement about Ted.
Ted is a nice guy, but he actually feels that if he doesn't see the card, it doesn't exist.
Facts, and anyones word is NOT good enough ... in his mind ... his assumptions, speculations and theories ... rises above all of that.

Maybe it went unoticed by his followers, but it was only two to three years ago that he discovered the Doyle error card.
Prior to that, outside of Larry Fritsch, the collecting world knew about the the Doyle error since 1987 ... Larry knew about it since 1980.

Until someone hit him between the eyes about the Doyle error card ... he was talking it down like he's doing to the Red Hindu Cobb.

If you notice, Ted will make statements about Bowmen cards ... but when it comes to tobacco cards ... they're mostly assumption, speculations and theories ... and when he makes a careless mistake ... he gets nailed ... this time by a newbie .
Old 04-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Jim VB

By the way, that thread I linked was BEFORE last year's REA catalog came out, so it was well known in this community before that.

Mastro also sold it 10-11 years ago.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
By the way, that thread I linked was BEFORE last year's REA catalog came out, so it was well known in this community before that.

Mastro also sold it 10-11 years ago.

My mistake on the dates of the REA sale. I saw the 2007 copyright at the bottom of the page....it sold at 38k last year. Let me try to learn something now. If the card has been in existence for at least 11 years (back to Mastro's sale) how in the world has such a high profile card escaped detection as being an altered piece? Is it just that each new owner spends mega bucks for it, then locks it away in denial....afraid to have it examined for genuine authenticity? I cannot understand this. What are your thoughts?