NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Brian Horne

Default Most desirable form of Autograph? and ID needed

I am in the process of selling a large number of autographs and am trying to price them using ebay completed listings. However... many of these are either older newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, or AP photos and I can't really find anything like them. So I was wondering if you would be willing to rank what you would prefer so I can figure out how my prices should compare to what I am seeing on ebay.

Signed Card
Signed Ball
Signed Postcard
Signed AP Photo
Signed Photo
Signed 3x5 card
Signed cut piece of paper
Signed Magazine Photo
Signed Program
Signed newspaper article

On a side note I was wondering if anyone could ID these three players for me. I will probably laugh at myself as soon as I see them.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Top one is nice vintage Zoilo Versalles.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:32 PM
J Stone

Other two are Larry Gardner and Harvey Haddix.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:32 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Other two are Larry Gardner (middle) and Harvey Haddix (bottom, far left)

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 08-03-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:00 PM

Signed Card 4
Signed Ball 1
Signed Postcard 6
Signed AP Photo 2
Signed Photo 3
Signed 3x5 card 9
Signed cut piece of paper 10
Signed Magazine Photo 5
Signed Program 8
Signed newspaper 7

My ranking, I'm sure others will be different. I actually like signed newspaper articles but they can be very fragile
Old 08-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

All depends on who the player is. Depending on that changes the order of value, but they are consistent with what is ranked above
Old 08-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Brian Horne

Thanks on the IDs, realize now that I missed the Haddix because I was looking at a list of Indians players and he was a pitching coach for the team.

I am a little surprised to see the AP photo ranked so high but I guess that makes sense since I can't find any for sale/sold.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by camlov2 View Post
Thanks on the IDs, realize now that I missed the Haddix because I was looking at a list of Indians players and he was a pitching coach for the team.

I am a little surprised to see the AP photo ranked so high but I guess that makes sense since I can't find any for sale/sold.
AP photos are awesome and extremely scarce for a good one
Old 08-03-2013, 10:27 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Signed Card 4
Signed Ball 1
Signed Postcard 5
Signed AP Photo 2
Signed Photo 3
Signed 3x5 card 8
Signed cut piece of paper 10
Signed Magazine Photo 6
Signed Program 7
Signed newspaper 9

Much of this could vary depending on the quality/desirability of the piece being signed, but that's how I would rank them.

+1 on the scarcity of the AP (or any news/press photos) signed, especially for players who died earlier than the last few years. News photos themselves were tough to come by before so many archives were broken up in the last few years, and the number that were then signed by their respective subjects was even smaller. That might not be quite as true for those still signing in the last decade or so when more vintage photos were available to collectors, but to me, would still rank above the other possibilities you listed.

I've never had much luck with newspapers myself (assuming clippings, rather than full papers), and find 3x5's easier to move than small clippings. Presumably because of the versatility of the 3x5 for framing purposes (can be paired with anything) and ability to achieve a somewhat uniform look for a collection even if signed decades apart. Depending on the mag photo or program, I might even rank a 3x5 above them for the same reasons.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

For me personally to collect autographs they would need to be on legal documents or have almost 100% impeccable provenance. That's about all I have to say. The higher the probability of it being good the more desirable to me. Good luck with them!!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
For me personally to collect autographs they would need to be on legal documents or have almost 100% impeccable provenance. That's about all I have to say. The higher the probability of it being good the more desirable to me. Good luck with them!!

I agree with Leon. That is why I like personal checks. Although there were some players that had secretarial signatures (Joe D.), most were in the hand of the person signing them. Just my 2¢.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
I agree with Leon. That is why I like personal checks. Although there were some players that had secretarial signatures (Joe D.), most were in the hand of the person signing them. Just my 2¢.
I asked a question on here a long time back that got no answer, when Hunt Auctions was auctioning off a ton of Ted Williams checks there appeared to be two drastically different signatures on them with close date ranges. Did Ted change his signature? Have a secretary? His son?
Old 08-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I asked a question on here a long time back that got no answer, when Hunt Auctions was auctioning off a ton of Ted Williams checks there appeared to be two drastically different signatures on them with close date ranges. Did Ted change his signature? Have a secretary? His son?
Hi Dan,

I do not know about Williams...but I have seen a Joe D. check in the past. I am not really an autograph guy, so I might have been fooled by the DiMaggio signature had I not been told that it wasn't his signature.