NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-24-2020, 12:46 AM

Default Suggestions on how to frame James Creighton piece from Leslies?

I have the 1865 issue featuring James Creighton and Henry Chadwick - I'd love to get it framed, but am not quite sure where to start!

It measures appx. 22" wide with a little more than 3/4" borders
and a little more than 15 3/4" top to bottom (i think a bit more than 1/2" borders top to bottom)

I also would like to get the whole thing framed in total, because it seems to brittle, I would be afraid of ripping something if I pulled out the 150+ year old page. Any help / suggestions / etc. greatly appreciated ... I want this to look as beautiful as possible on my wall, thanks!
Old 02-24-2020, 03:25 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Before you do anything I recommend you consult with a conservator. Likely he/she will advise treatment of some sort (e.g., deacidification) the purpose of which will be to preserve what you have. If there are tears or other condition issues, you will have the option to decide whether to treat as well.

After the item has been treated, the conservator can recommend ways to frame it. One popular option is to frame the page showing the baseball woodcuts (which the conservator can remove from the issue) and place the remainder of the issue in a conservation-appropriate (e.g., mylar) sleeve affixed to the back of the frame. When framing, you will not want the glass to be in contact with the woodcut. You can accomplish this by either encapsulating the woodcut in a mylar sleeve, or having a conservation-appropriate mount at the edges (which will be the contact point with the glass). I would recommend the latter as IMO it will present better. I would also recommend using a glass that absorbs UV radiation. Finally, for optimal presentation, you can use glare-resistant glass. Such glass is more expensive, but if it fits within your budget is worth considering.

BTW, congrats on owning such a piece! IMO it is the single most important 19th century baseball woodcut known, and tremendously undervalued.

Last edited by benjulmag; 02-24-2020 at 03:41 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:02 AM
George

What Corey said is spot on. A conservator will need to dehumidify your print (especially if it’s that brittle) in order to make it more pliable/flattened before it is framed. Surface cleaning along with acid free backing may also be necessary with tear repairs being optional. Depending on the condition, you can expect to pay a few hundred to several hundred dollars +. It’s the one thing you learn about 19th century prints. In some instances (or many in my case), you end up paying more for conservation than you do for the actual item. That said, it’s well worth it so you can enjoy it for years to come while limiting further damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2020, 05:29 AM
Bruce Fairchild

I agree with the above posts. Using spacers between the mat and glass is a must. Sometimes the thickness of the mat or mats is enough to separate the glass from your piece but you may decide not to use the traditional mat. There is a reflection control glass that greatly reduces uv rays.
I would check with a large, well known framer. They should be able to steer you towards a conservator.
Don't forget to post a pic once you get it framed.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:05 PM

Thank you everyone! I appreciate Net54 and its members so much for this sort of help.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:28 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Bought mine already framed, so not sure of the details, but it looks like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1865 Leslie's NYBB woodcut 1.JPG (59.2 KB, 287 views)
Old 02-24-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Bought mine already framed, so not sure of the details, but it looks like this.
Nice! And colored!
Old 02-27-2020, 07:59 PM
George

Great! It looks like there are a few versions of the Leslie's woodcut that have been colored at a later point.

Woodcuts
Old 03-01-2020, 12:56 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That is a nice looking woodcut.

Tanner - I used a higher end art gallery to frame one time and they did a great job. Good luck with it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarius31 View Post
Great! It looks like there are a few versions of the Leslie's woodcut that have been colored at a later point.

Woodcuts
Old 03-01-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
That is a nice looking woodcut.

Tanner - I used a higher end art gallery to frame one time and they did a great job. Good luck with it....
Thanks for the suggestion Leon! The pic here is not mine ... mine is not colored, which i'm not sure to think of it as a good thing or bad thing but I'm not about to bust out the box of crayolas (just yet!)
Old 03-04-2020, 06:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
Thanks for the suggestion Leon! The pic here is not mine ... mine is not colored, which i'm not sure to think of it as a good thing or bad thing but I'm not about to bust out the box of crayolas (just yet!)
I think the hand colored ones rock. Ones done in Crayola might not be as nice.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:55 AM
GaryPassamonte

I picked up this one last night in Scott Gaynor's auction. I think the coloring adds richness to the woodcut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg creighton1865.jpg (73.8 KB, 74 views)
Old 03-04-2020, 08:26 AM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
I picked up this one last night in Scott Gaynor's auction. I think the coloring adds richness to the woodcut.

Congrats Gary! It’s beautiful and very well executed for one of the most significant woodcuts out there. I’ve always wondered whether the artists were using colors that were accurate to the specific teams. I haven’t researched it enough but the 3 that are shown in this thread certainly differ in color scheme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2020, 01:51 PM
GaryPassamonte

I was thinking the same thing about the uniforms, George. I can only find a few of these teams referenced on the Threads of Our Game site.
1859 & 1859 Knickerbockers and Excelsiors- blue pants and white shirt
1855 Empire- drab pants and crimson trim on the shirt
1858 Eckfords- light shirt and dark pants
The Empire uniform on your woodcut looks amazingly accurate. The Excelsior looks right. The Knickerbockers and Eckfords not so much. I'll have wait until I have mine in hand to take a closer look, but there appear to be a few uniforms that are strikingly similar on our woodcuts. Maybe Glenn can provide a closer scan to better look at his copy.
This is not much to go on. The uniform styles could be from who knows exactly what year. They could be from the late 1850s up to 1865. Also, the woodcuts could have been colored in 1865 or in a much later year. It would be nice to identify a woodcut using the correct uniform colors. That would be a great help to Craig Brown in accurately picturing uniforms from this early period.

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 03-04-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:59 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
I was thinking the same thing about the uniforms, George. I can only find a few of these teams referenced on the Threads of Our Game site.
1859 & 1859 Knickerbockers and Excelsiors- blue pants and white shirt
1855 Empire- drab pants and crimson trim on the shirt
1858 Eckfords- light shirt and dark pants
The Empire uniform on your woodcut looks amazingly accurate. The Excelsior looks right. The Knickerbockers and Eckfords not so much. I'll have wait until I have mine in hand to take a closer look, but there appear to be a few uniforms that are strikingly similar on our woodcuts. Maybe Glenn can provide a closer scan to better look at his copy.
This is not much to go on. The uniform styles could be from who knows exactly what year. They could be from the late 1850s up to 1865. Also, the woodcuts could have been colored in 1865 or in a much later year. It would be nice to identify a woodcut using the correct uniform colors. That would be a great help to Craig Brown in accurately picturing uniforms from this early period.
I believe Peverelly's book of American Pastimes lists for each baseball club it mentions the club's colors.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:13 PM
GaryPassamonte

It would be nice to have that information, Corey. It would seem that a team's uniforms would reflect the team's colors. Combining that information with the colors and patterns on the uniforms in the woodcut might produce some common ground that would be more than a coincidence. For example, the Eagle uniform appears to be checked in all three colored woodcuts. That would most certainly be more than a coincidence.

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 03-04-2020 at 03:13 PM.